I know most of you guys know this by now, but I started college last September . I was going to do A levels, I got the GCSE results I needed but because of my stupid mind, the voice inside my head told me I wasn't good enough to do it. So I picked childcare instead. For a short while, everything was going fine but then I started to realise that I didn't want to be an early years' practitioner or a teacher. The course wasn't stretching me and I couldn't face the rest of my life working in a nursery or pretending to be a good teacher.
So I decided that I would start A levels in September. I discussed this with the relevant people, got the signatures I needed and will be starting again in September. This means I will being three years at college in total, so I guess my whole experience of college will be different from most. This year has been very odd, with lots of lows and not many highs! I do still get a qualification from this year, so it's not a complete waste of time.
I look forward to starting my A-levels in September, I know the next two years are going to be tough, especially the last year when I am on my own but I know I can do it, I just have to think about the pain of working in a nursery for the rest of my life and that soon cheers me up! Because of all this, it means that I have learnt one heck of a lot. So, naturally I thought that I would share this with you guys today! Hope you enjoy!
1. Not everything turns out as planned HA! That's an understatement
2. You won't get along with everyone in your class, in fact, some people will hate you- That's okay! (You hate them, equally as much)
3. If you ever need
4. You need a watch, with no bells, poor phone battery you have no hope of getting to class on time
5. That reminds me- bring your phone charger! You are guaranteed to need it!
6. Calling your teachers by their first names is weird at first
7. But after a while, you get used to it and it actually is nice in a way, your insults hurt them more! I am joking- don't do that!
8. Get a bookbag! No, seriously! With laptops, textbooks and binders- you need a bigger bag! Yes, you will look like a bag lady! It's a great look!
9. While you're at it, you might as well book a physio appointment for about two weeks into term, you will need it!
10. The toilets and cafeteria are no better than school! Sorry!
11. It's a busy place, lots of people! LOTS OF PEOPLE!
12. You are expected to do things on your own, they won't hold your hand anyone!
13. If you want to pass, its all down to you! *Insert cringey quote about teachers opening doors here* but seriously its true
14. Don't get to close to people in the first month or two, drop out rates are high! Especially if you do childcare, it seems!
15. You can be involved with so much at college, or very little, it truly depends on you. Be aware of where your priorities lie
16. You will send lots of emails to teachers! When I say a lot, I mean A LOT!
17. Don't be afraid to speak to your teachers and ask for help, they want to help!
18. Well,most do. If you are unlucky enough to get a shite one, sorry, It can't be helped!
19. Some people just have it out for you since the start, I am sorry about this one too!
20. The days are longer, OH-MY-GOD aren't the days longer....
21. When they say you have to put the equal amount of hours in at home that you have in lessons, yeah that's not true! You need to put in more! If you actually want to pass the course!
22. Take your own laptop, unless you want to contract a disease from a keyboard, take your own laptop
23. Hand sanitiser is a good shout too!
24. If you have to take the bus to college, make the most of that 45 minutes, have a laugh, have a chat- it's only the time in the day you will have to rest
25. Waiting for the bus in the rain is never fun especially if it's a late bus
26. No one cares what you wear! You are worried people will notice that you wore the same top two days in a row? Don't! They are more interested in the guy wearing rainbow dungarees with bleach blonde hair
27. There are vending machines everywhere! It's hard to resist! But you must! DO NOT GO TO THE DARK SIDE
28. Failing that, with no set lunch, it's easy to forget to eat at all, this is bad, don't do this! You will only proceed to eat the whole fridge and the fridge itself when you get home!
29. You can be lonely in college and no one would know apart from the other people you bump into in the library on a daily basis, who are also lonely!
30. Pick subjects you will enjoy, for heaven sake! Pick subjects you enjoy!
This post was very easy to write, which probably explains a lot about my first year at college...
Have you been to college/sixth form? What did you learn? Was it any of these things?
Let me know in the comments below!
Thanks for reading, as always x
Follow me on social media for brownie points here: Twitter Instagram Bloglovin