For all those with a vagina, you will understand the hell we go through every month, also more commonly known as a period. As women, we get to know our body and menstrual cycle pretty well! We sometimes even give it a name, hi auntie Flo! No, but seriously, it's not fun!
And if cramps, tender boobs, a throbbing back and mood swings as unpredictable as the British weather aren't enough for us to struggle with, men who just don't understand only add to the pain! Okay, fair enough they don't actually go through themselves and aren't taught about periods in their sex education lessons ( we will blame the government for that one) I still think it's important for men to know about periods, so they can sympathise with us (although we will probably just bite their heads off LOL SOZ) and stop making stupid comments/ jokes about periods. What are you 13?
To help educate men, I thought I would compile a list of 30 things myself and other women want men to know about periods! If you are a man and you already knew most of these then good on you!
1. Periods are completely natural and no I can't control them
2. You will never understand the pain of your period catching you unaware and ruining a perfectly good pair of knickers
3. Period blood shouldn't be something that grosses you out!
4. Every month we get sad, then angry, then happy, angry, sad, happy, sad, sad oh and then back to normal again all within a couple of days, you just have to get used to it!
5. Yes it feels like you are dying and yes I want all the drugs in the world when I am on my period
6. You may think I look like a complete douche with a water bottle stuck up my jumper, but let me tell you it bloody works!
7. Yes, it feels like you are wetting yourself but no it doesn't gush out like a waterfall
8. Wearing a pad does feel like you are wearing a nappy, you guessed it!
9. When you first start your period, yes you do think you are dying or you have a burst organ somewhere
10. And when your period plays tricks on you and comes a few days early but is very light,yes, we all think we have some form of cancer! (Well, I know I do!)
11. Starting your period is the start of womanhood
12. It's also the start of 30 to 40 years of pure dreaded pain and discomfort every month!
13. If you wonder why the fridge is half empty or I why I am scoffing chocolate at a ridiculous time of night, I am probably on my period
14. PMS is a bitch
15. Periods are something we shouldn't be made to feel ashamed off. It's a sign of a strong and healthy women. Blood isn't always a sign of weakness
16. Yes, it's possible to bleed for 5 days and live to tell the tale! A miracle right?
17. Cramps feel like you have a vicious animal in the lower part of your tummy kicking and screaming to get out- yes it bloody hurts!
18. When we get angry and you ask if we are on our periods, that pisses us off even more!
19.The average women uses 11,000 tampons in her lives- that's a hell load of money!
20. Yes, we will use our period as an excuse to not do something! And what ya gonna do about it?
21. Tampons and pads aren't gross! Get over it!
22. If we pull one out of our bags don't retract like it's a used one- it's clean, trust us!
23. We don't purposely have our periods on that summer holiday you so carefully planned. So don't get mad at us!
24. Give us a break! The inside of our bodies is literally shedding, like a snake!
25. We can get pregnant when we have our periods
26. We do sometimes leak and stain the bed sheets, don't get mad! We can't help it! And no I ain't setting an alarm every hour to change my pad in the night- Ain't nobody got time for that!
27. We can give birth to your children thanks to a week of hell, also known as a period! You are most welcome!
28. It may look like a horror film to you but actually one menstrual cycle only releases one cup of blood
29. We spend an average 3,500 days menstruating or around 500 periods
30. It takes up most of our life's and we just get on with it SO IT'S ABOUT TIME YOU DO THE SAME!
Do you agree with any of these things? What else would you want men to know about periods? Let me know in the comments below!
Thanks for reading, as always x